Portugal’s Golden Visa
The residence by investment program allows any third-country national – essentially anyone who is not a Portuguese or EU/EFTA citizen – to gain residency in Portugal with a qualifying investment in the country.
The program has a number of different ways to make a qualifying investment and obtain a Golden Visa, including:
- Transferring at least €1,000,000 to Portugal
- Creating 10 or more jobs
- Investing at least €500,000 in Portuguese real estate
- Investing at least €350,000 in Portuguese real estate that is at least 30 years old or situated in an area the government has targeted for rehabilitation or gentrification
- Transferring €350,000 to be invested in qualifying public or private scientific research
- Transferring at least €250,000 to be invested in or used to support an artistic production or the renovation of national cultural heritage
As a Golden Visa holder, you and your direct family members qualify for permanent residency after five years of maintaining your investment.
After six years, you qualify for Portuguese citizenship.
To obtain residency and citizenship, you and your family aren’t even required to reside in Portugal – you only need to spend at least seven days in Portugal during the first year, and at least 14 days in each of the following two-year periods.
As a silver lining, with Portuguese residency, you enjoy visa-free travel to all 26 European countries in the Schengen area.